Use the helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move. Book the movers. You can choose to have the movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies. If you own your home...
Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address. Disconnect your telephone and cable TV.
If you rent your current home...
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any monies you have on deposit.
At your new home...
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pickup, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home
- services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities. Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.